Thursday, September 23, 2010

Playing Catch-up.

"Certain seasons of the year mark themselves naturally out as appropriate moments for a general expulsion of devils." Frazer, page 662.

Like Frazer so described, I feel that this, the mid-part of the start of the year marks the period where I must come to purge my demons; mostly those demons of sloth. It has become apparent to me that my blogs have been lacking, and I now intend to fix that fact as quickly as possible. To start to sort out the mess, I'll comment on another's blog.

I had the pleasure of reading Amberly McDonald's blog this afternoon. Her earliest childhood memory had me somewhat amused. Reading of her sister's desperate attempt to get the white rabbit to drink brought to mind a few instances where I also tried to nurture an animal to death. Taylor's memory also brought a question to my mind, why must life and death coexist within such close proximity of one another? After the lecture in class today I found my question could be repeated. Cronus ate his children as soon as they were born, essentially this came across to me as death following birth(never mind the fact that all of the brood were still alive). Why would life exist in such a precarious position? Thanks to Mircea Eliade, I have an answer. "The return to origins gives the hope of a rebirth" -page 30. In the context of my own question, I can see why the white rabbit's drowning would have been a significant, and yet insignificant memory. Death is merely the prelude to new life. Ashes to ashes and dust to dust. We come from the ash and ergo we return to it to rise again. However, in respect to Taylor's memory, let me say I'm glad that particular rabbit didn't go gently into the night(or turtle pool in this case).

Alas, I'd hoped to further my game of catch-up, but Death's little sister has me in her grip. More on that subject in the next blog.....

No comments:

Post a Comment